Tuesday, January 7, 2014

truth

I haven't been to a graveyard since my sister was buried, isn't even a true statement.  

I have dragged the kids from the car into dumping rain, beating sun, howling winds, nameless condition to romp through old cemeteries, ghost towns, and tumbling houses. We collect bones.  I chase ghosts in my mind. 



But my family has buried 3 members without me standing graveside.  



I managed half a service for my grandmother before darting for the parking lot, a fast exit from a viewing for another grandmother followed by hiding out in the schoolyard of the O.C. to avoid the graveside, and completely MIA for a cousin.  

My track record is not looking promising... but I really loved my aunt and I really love our family and don't want to let anyone down.


"What are you most afraid of?" he asks me in that gentle I promise not to listen too hard to your answer voice.

"I am afraid of crying."

"You do know crying at a funeral is totally acceptable behavior?"

"Yes, but I am afraid if I start crying I won't be able to stop."  And for this fear he offers no counter because he knows what I am saying.  

"I can see how hard you are fighting to make this possible.  I could tell you going is not in your best interest."

"Would that be a lie?" I ask.

"I don't quite know." He answers, "I'm so worried it is the truth."
  

  

2 comments:

  1. Love you Misty. Thanks for being with us.
    H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. Sometimes we have to do thing we fear doing to be able to stand in the right place. I love you too.

      Delete