Friday, August 30, 2013

...may I have just a minute of your time?

The sunlight falling in through the back window of the gym glints off her glasses like a beacon.  It is the biggest lie I have ever told her and it constantly is glaring me in the face.  “No glare lenses 39 dollars extra, hmmm“ >count money in hand<, “yeah, we don’t need those, it doesn’t matter, no one will ever notice.”
Of course I don’t need the extra landmark to spot her in the group of gymnasts gathering 10 minutes to workout.  Of the girls gathered Beach is three sizes smaller- it looks ridiculous, at least to her mother it does.  Eventually she won’t look so out of place, eventually a few, 3 to be exact nearly as small as Beach will join her- but funny gym factoid only her mother would bother to note: she is the smallest, but not the youngest, optional gymnast at our gym.


...And at our gym we have reach the point where we will need to start fundraising for her.  We could have already started but I am worried about failing and losing the dream that others see the value in what she is accomplishing and want to be a part it too.  That others will be able to open their hearts and be willing to help her on her unique journey.

I am afraid to test my network based on past shows of support for Beach. It might surprise you to know that 98% of her meets I am the only one (outside of other gymmates & their families) there to see her.  Don’t get me wrong we have amazing friends and family who are rightfully busy with their own kids, own struggles, and lives.  We are all busy.  I wonder if part of it is simply it is believed she doesn't require support because she is so capable and self driven- and I am here to say it isn’t true, she would love to know you care.  And there are so many ways to show it!!! In fact, I can't even begin to thank some of the adults in her life for all the love, support, and generosities they have shown her, most of all her coaches.
I have really tried to be supportive of the kids in village because I believe they are what matters most.  I am hoping the universe and the village is as kind to mine.


If you have ideas or past experiences with fundraising or would like to help us in anyway please share, we would love to hear from you!

“To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thank you for your time~

No comments:

Post a Comment