Saturday, March 2, 2013

mud season is the reason


greenhouse carrot
Absolute zero reason to get out of bed I lay there reviewing.  I had fallen asleep last night in my clothes listening to BC read to Beach from one room away.  Pasta is not my friend.  Around 1 I had gotten up to brush my teeth, about 2 I took my levis off, and a 3 my jacket. 
In the dim predawn light of my bedroom I listen to Little Dog making her way around the bed searching for me under the overhanging blankets.  To her surprise her cold wet nose hits me first try; still no reason to get up.  If I let her outside before the old dog wakes she only sits at the door looking perplexed. And the old dog is still sleeping. I wonder what will happen when he dies, will Little Dog learn to go out alone?  She will have to.  
I try to talk myself into wanting coffee.  It falls short.  I think about writing and running and a day of NPR, a few hours helping a friend move, a promise of good weather.  Today looks perfect and still no reason to get out of bed.
The week was too long.
Too many things fell apart at once.
Too much mud on the dogs.
Too much ice on the paths.
Too much construction; boys, booms, and motors.
Too much too much.
I feel like I am suffocating.
But in all that something has hit my radar.  A fact: The US imports almost half of its lamb/sheep from places like New Zealand and Australia.  Now I don't eat lamb and I may have issues with the concept BUT I know I don't like the idea of trucking food all over the place. We the people may not be able to grow fresh fruits and vegetables to met our year round demands but we can grow sheep. Perhaps BC and I should give up the farm here and take the volunteer position open to us in New Hampshire.  Live with BC's aging grandmother, care for her, and her large woody property, make syrup, and raise lambs.  BC can go back to pottery and I could go back to school.            
We are in mud season on the farm and this madness too shall pass....  
I slip out of bed reclaiming my clothing.  Tiptoe down the stairs to brew.  Before long I am in the yard watching the sunrise holding a cup of coffee close as the cold air swirls around my fingers…. today looks pretty good but you know what I could really use?  Some sheep.      

No comments:

Post a Comment