Thursday, January 8, 2015

from the doctor to gym and home

Beach hiding under the covers
watching Word Girl on her Kindle
The follow-up to Beach's bad tummy is we got the early appointment. Drove through the middle of the city in morning rush hour. Unfortunately Wednesdays are Beach's doctor's day off so we were seen by one of the other treating physicians in the practice- the one I love. 

Not the other one, the one I have actually chewed out twice (back in the little Alexis & Conner mom days) for being indecisive and a giant waste of time and money. I think some of my exact words were, "I could have gotten this same bullshit from some newbie mom on a park bench" and "Really? That's all you are going to say? So when we turn up in the ER tonight because you missed treating this do you want a phone call?" WHICH for the record is what happened. 

She had refused to treat an ear infection in a kid who had a history of ear infections that responded well to antibiotics, and who was already scheduled for surgery after multiple ruptures (the times we didn't get on an rx soon enough), because she said it wasn't "red enough yet". 

It got us an apology from the real doctor and a star in our chart meaning call the real doctor about this kid (or this Mom-Bear, either way).... yeah so, turns out that one doctor I would see her later that night but not in the office- at the gym as I slowly realized her kid is on team! That sucks for me.

Yes, back to Beach at the doctor's office. "You don't come here very often" is what the RN said as he decided to get a rare weight and height on Beach to put in the chart. 10% in weight and 20% in height. 
The home owners photos of BC hard at work

The good other doctor, who looks a lot like Jerry Garcia, ruled out all the lower big scary stuff pretty quickly. He also brilliantly navigated though any possibility it was stress related. Turns out he was the pediatrician to the kids of the head coach of the U of U gymnastics team and has had season tickets forever. He even told Beach where his seats were and said he would look for her at the meet where Beach's gym provides the runners. He told her to wave to him. She told him he should know that was against the rules. Beach kills me. 
The home owners photos of BC hard at work
In the end he pronounced the leading suspect to be esophagitis caused by a little infection possibly an ulcer. With a small amount of management & an rx it should clear up. If it doesn't clear up or doesn't respond to rx and antacids then we know to look a bit deeper like gallbladder... He laid out a very safe and logical plan avoiding all the costly or uncomfortable diagnostics until if/when they were truly needed. 
   
In the car on the way home I asked Beach if she understood everything the doctor had told us.  We talked about what might be happening and why. Then as a way to evaluate what she was really thinking or feeling and how much she was understanding (watch/listen, practice, teach) I asked her what she was going to say when her teammates asked what the doctor said. She answered, "He said my stomach hurts".

Yes, yes he did. And hopefully that is the beginning of the end of it! 

We kicked back the rest of the day. Rescued Sophie from school and hit the gym a little early.  She had a fantastic practice. Her coloring is still pale and waxy and she's not eating very much... but overall we are doing a whole lot better! 

BC called the gym to check on her. Then he told me he emailed me something. I was thinking here I was alone at home with all this weirdness, a frozen washer, stupid chickens, pretty much dead broke, it must be something sweet to cheer me up. 


Nope, it's men standing around drinking beer. 

I did ask him about it he said I was missing the point. It was men drinking beer in front of the walls BC had framed. Interestingly enough throughout this "ninja down with a stomach thing" he is not the first boy to send me a photo of men drinking beer or I should say of beer. That's fine because the girls are a little bit smarter and this turned up in my possession last night. 




Thank you ladies <3 I think we are good :)  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment