Saturday, November 29, 2014

dear daughters

I don't honestly know how to word all that I would want to say to them. 


Under a limitless sky they crawl up the rocks and track through the dirt. The desert wind pushing them around, their laughter cutting through in choppy waves. They dance and giggle uncontrollably while I mull around the desert like a naughty puppy, always wandering off.


It is stupid how much I love the way the wind sounds in the desert, I say. 
He shakes his head, It's not stupid at all. 


I think about how comfortable I feel standing here, the desert rising around me. I had been given an hour's notice, warning that guns and balloons would be involved. Hosted by a man who falsely believes me capable of keeping up with him and my answer was yes, oh yes.


He and I stand back with the rocks and watch them as their antics unfold across the landscape. We watch our daughters unbound by the rules that await them. Silently agreeing with what we are each thinking and feeling for them. 


It seems girls have to give up so much to grow-up.  


High up nestled in the rocks against the wind I hear Beach say to Sophie, I want to learn to do that trick that you run up the wall and back flip... but they only teach it to the boys. 


Oh please don't let go, 
if you can remember who you are while standing under a limitless sky
you will know you don't ever have to give up this kind of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment