Friday, August 8, 2014

watching the sky

It's not unlike a cloud burst. The skies darken, edges first. Light slowly softens to hues of faint blue. Then the clouds let loose the rain... 


Just as BC picked up a fantastic in town job for a beloved client and the lawyers fired the opening shots in the developing custody fight to help Fisher (the step son) stay in Utah for pending school, the financing for the Moab job suddenly went through.

I am near speechless at the complications. None of this was in the forecast. 

A custody fight over a 15 yr kid who has already decided (power to make the choice backed by state law and the existing custody decree) his education is better served here, not there.   

A winter start for an out of town job, evidently delayed even longer now by the need for BC to be in 3 places at once.  

If you are standing on the higher ground the rain is not what is to be feared- it is the lightening. And in the  near distance an electrical storm is brewing. 

I have felt it moving towards me for about a month. I tried to ignore it but I keep returning to the realization it cannot be out run. 

I honestly thought in the moment our son graduated from high school the last ties between me and my ex were gone.  You can laugh at how short sighted that was of me, I've never claimed to have emotional intelligence.  And I see now that you never truly get to walk away- no matter how fast you are running.

Our son C-Boy is all grown up and expecting a child of his own; a little girl. 

Being together again as a family is unavoidable.  That day in June I honestly thought I was walking away for the very last time.  Holding my high heels in one hand. The other the hem of my dress so as soon as I was out of sight of the crowds mingling on the lawn of the graduation, I might run the rest of the way to my waiting car. I wish I would have understood it was only a reprieve. I would have savored my time away more carefully.   
      




No comments:

Post a Comment