Friday, November 1, 2013

in the woods with you, mlb

I had a dream I was in the woods with you.  


Light flickers between the black barked trees like broken film.  The trail littered with aspects of a perfect Autumn, downed branches waiting, clumps of wet grass clinging, and you.  
In the woods.  
And me. 

I think of how long it has been since this has happened.  I think of how tired I am of holding on to you like a river hanging to the misty edge of departed rain.  But there in the woods of a dream I could smell you.  I could pretend to let go the leash of the past freeing the demon dogs to hunt elsewhere for awhile.  In the shadow light beneath fluttering yellow leaves of spades I could feel the weight of the way you don’t touch me; it is a carefulness other men don’t know I need.  
If I listened beyond the sound of our breath I could hear the dying echo of the words you spoke that day on the edge of the real woods.  Standing on the banks of a real river; the words I denied us, despite their truth.  I thought I was protecting us, I don't know anymore.  Your lost words fall in the dream woods as tiny gray stones tossed into a river.  And in my dream, in the woods with you I was running, the wind was warm, the air soft, your hand offered out to me, and we were together although I never once could see your face.  


I would have stayed asleep forever to stay there with you. 


mlb, 11/01/13


No comments:

Post a Comment