Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"it will only kill you if it catches you..."


I don’t like yoga and yet all through the night as I rolled and woke every hour checking the clock; is it time? Can I do yoga now?
I dislike nearly everything about yoga, the calm slow moves, the stretching, and unspoken requirement to have balance and upper body strength.  But I do like what yoga has to offer my body at the end of a week of pushing the limits.   Yoga somehow fixes all the rough edges.  Better still, on a rest day doing yoga isn't considered cheating on rest. 
Infuriating really. 
So what brings me to the moment of yearning for what I dislike so much? Willingly taping the open sores on my foot first with a surgical 4x4 gauze pad covering a thick bead of rx goop, next white athletic tape, and if I was running I would stop there slip on a respectable sock and ease into my running shoes but to be barefoot on a mat requires a final wrap of duct tape to hold it all in place, and I do this for yoga.
I do yoga because I am crossfitting.
I do crossfit to improve my running.
And I run because something a little over a month back hit the switch that turns on the need to run.  Quickly running in and of itself was not enough I needed to go further, longer, stronger.  I needed to feel the wild freedom of the kind of running that ends in skinned knees, in ankle deep snowy mud, and tattoos from lashing winter branches... that required gaining strength and losing some extra insulation. 

Sometimes I want to run. 
Sometimes I should run.
Sometimes I should want to run.
Sometimes running is enough.  
But sometimes that switch gets stuck ON and the flight is the fight then I run because it is the one thing I can do to save myself from the a disease as unpredictable as I am. 

RX:RUN 
"Never forget Sweetness, it will only kill you if it catches you, don't let that happen" 

No comments:

Post a Comment