Friday, June 22, 2012

dust to dust

I spent most the morning debating whether or not this hike up the SL Overlook should happen or not. 
The issue was my nearly not there potassium levels. 
 I laid in bed slamming Gatorade going back & forth about it until I finally defaulted on
if in doubt, just do it.
I decided to go alone (no dogs) and take it slow not committing to reaching the top.
So I hiked through the smoke filtering in from a fire burning miles away.
Through fire light and ashes falling.
Along side flowers.
Through the trees.
Back and forth up a mountain.
*not entirely alone
I had a lot of time to think.
A lot of time to focus on one foot in front of the other.
And it wasn't as much fun as it used to be, me and this mountain...
And when I reached the top I wasn't happy to be there. 
I wasn't any happier than I was hiking up thinking about all the times I have hiked here, the people, the dogs, & the reasons.

Dear SL Overlook, You are beautiful but if I never hike you again I'd be okay with that. Love, Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment