Wednesday, September 10, 2014

work Me


I was sitting at my desk watching one of the cute moms load her toddler and baby into her car. I was thinking about what she was going to do next.... pop through the grocery store for crackers, story time at the library, home for lunch, naps, laundry, and .... I want to stay home, I thought. Wait! I do stay home. 

I am so thankful for my life. Thankful for my job and for this week. I am getting the chance to work full time for a tiny little bit.  It's like getting to try on someone else's life for a while.  Actually, like trying on my old life. It's fun. A little crazy (oh, yesterday) but that only serves to make it that much better. 

Some days I really miss being the Me that worked in the hospital world. The Me of dress clothes, meetings, classes, and curbside school pick ups. But even as I miss that life I remember how homesick I would get. Mostly I missed my children and the way sunlight looks in the late afternoon in quiet house.  Sick days were a mixed blessing; precious stolen time home with a kid.  But so too were Monday mornings heading to work to a job I loved. Kids safe a school. It was a good life.

There is no question that working whatever the hours makes me a higher functioning and happier person. I love helping other people. I love who I am when I work.  I am far more reliable as an employee than I am as a friend or partner.  The rules are easier to understand. What is expected of me all laid out.  When I can stop doing all that and walk away pretty clear cut.
      
I adore customer service (making people happy is the best!) but I do let it wear me down. That would be the homesick part- the search for solitude.      

I really have the best of both worlds right now. Mostly I am home with one of the best kids on the planet and the rest of mostly I am at gym, surrounded by wonderful people.  



Oh look at the time, I gotta go to work :D


No comments:

Post a Comment