Friday, December 20, 2013

the search team

What the old dog didn't know was why the little dog and I were out in the field.  



He barked at the edge of the yard but refused to break the barrier between tame and wild. 


Little dogs never cares about crossing lines, running slopes, or chasing sunlight.  
She simply follows. 


So she happily followed me out once again looking for the body of BC's cat in hopes of finding it before BC does.  


Despite the grim errand the snow was overwhelmingly beautiful.  
We stayed a long time walking and sitting against the far fence lines.  We watched the birds fly over head.  Listened to the winter sun melt the ice.  We savored the coldness of the snow as it seeped into our bodies like tiny bubbles of overflowing champagne.


I think I knew even before I put my boots on this morning that I would not find the cat.  I fear if he is ever found it will not be by me. 


However I did find something out there in the field. 


I found a reminder to not be too old of a dog that your feet cannot forgo the comforts of tame ground and you miss a walk through the wild.





No comments:

Post a Comment