Friday, November 14, 2014

in case you thought I was calling

I had a thought leaving the gym last night: 
dodge-ball

And I want to be a captain
And I want one of those red rubber school balls.
And I want it over inflated so there are no questions about whether or not someone was hit or not.

My team would be the Pirates, unless someone more clever than me found us a better name- then we would be that.

We don't have to play for me to know my team would win. The people I would choose to stand beside me might have horrible aim, might be slow jumpers, I don't have any idea how fast any of their reflexes are. I haven't tested them by chucking random objects at them and seeing how they do. 

I could start. I will pray about it. You will know what I decide when it happens.

I have to be realistic, it is very possible my team would never make it out of the locker room- victims of an inside joke or 2.  Laughing too hard to walk, too busy having fun together to remember what they were supposed to be doing.   

But it doesn't matter because there is one thing the people I would I choose to be on my team all have in common- they all know that although "winning" is nice and "losing" is hard it's how you play the game of life between those 2 false poles that actually counts. 

I would pick people who would never waste their valuable playtime together keeping score. 
People who make the world shake with laughter, win or lose. 
People who would raise you up while taking your ass down. 

Yes, I had a thought last night standing in the cold. Rain wanting so much to be snow falling on my head. Surrounded by the of laughter of a group of people, the many women, & the brave few men, that are GTC.  We are truly so lucky to have the chance to walk this journey with them.  

On second thought perhaps that ball shouldn't be red but it should be:

 "competition blue" 

Because the team I would pick would take playing a game with blue balls very seriously~

No comments:

Post a Comment