Saturday, August 30, 2014

tiny keyholes

It is the straw that broke the camel's back. Technically it is the piece of furniture that wrecked my day. I was under the impression that BC was acquiring a set of drawers for Fisher who has out grown using a footlocker for storing his clothing.

What was towering over the entryway when I came home was a large wooden...what the hell is it called?! Wardrobe perhaps? It is in fantastic condition, perfect grain, nice light finish, and each door, there are 2, has a tiny little lock and a skeleton key.

"Need help getting it into Fisher's room?" I asked.
"Nope, that is where it goes. It is for shoes and coats."

"Yeah, except: don't we already have a place for shoes and coats?" Something that followed us home from an estate sale?" I distinctly remember having this same conversation then too. "Yeah, except don't we already have a place for shoes and coats?" Brought it home from the ReStore last winter. And again: "Yeah, except don't we already have a place for shoes and coats...?".

Oddly enough BC is the only one who doesn't use any of the other 3 designated shoe/coat places. It is no wonder he feels we need something....BUT accepting that would be sidestepping the real issue (oddly enough the same motion one would need to take to get into the house now).  The cold hard truth BC is a hoarder. No way around it, completely pathological.

He has 2 garages filled to overflowing, a tool trailer, and a semitrailer plus items in storage all over the valley at friends houses. He has stockpiles of materials for building all over the yard. He has 4 shelves for paperwork but can never find what he is looking for. Often complaining there is nowhere for his stuff to go.

And he shops. 
A lot. 
He never turns down a good deal. We have enough blankets and sleeping bags to host a camp out for 50 for 2 weeks! 
We have a year supply of apple cider vinegar. 
We have enough screws to fix the government  
I have over 15 pots and pans and only 4 burners to cook on. 
2 apple presses, 3 french presses, 2 large roasting pans, and 6 cast iron skillets. 
We have no less than 4 winter coats each, including for the 2 kids who no longer live at home.
BC has more clothing than Beach and I combined. 
Did I mention we have 5 shopvacs?

When Beach was gone to Gym camp I neurotically cleaned our house for 3 days straight.  On day 2 BC got on board and we actually got the farm looking pretty good. I was a little embarrassed to find that we have filled 2 city garbage cans with trash and recycling- why was all that garbage in my house?!?! We took away 3 full loads of stuff to donate to the local thrift store.

That was over a month ago. Seeing BC returning to his hoarder ways was almost too much.

But instead of freaking I moved around 4 large pieces of furniture, several times, and eventually found the "perfect" spot for BC's latest addition. 

See, I figure if he can tolerate my skeletons- such as being woken up, every third night or so, in the middle of the night by me screaming and thrashing around than I can put up with his closets.

No comments:

Post a Comment