Wednesday, May 21, 2014

out

Inside my head it is oddly quiet. Almost unnervingly so.
I needed to get out.
This time of year especially I lean towards the foothills.  It is where my heart lingers. Where my mind drifts. The shoreline trail.
It is where BC and I really fell in love. Where I took my sister for the last hike we would ever take together. Where my dogs run free. Where for the first time my best friend let his guard down. Where weather and season change nothing. 
It is my measure of how I am doing. 
Here I have stepped on a rattle snake, pet a tarantula, hovered over a huge wolf spider without freaking out, followed a bobcat, ran over a squirrel, split open my knee because I was distracted by a rabbit, and wandered into a herd of deer. 
I have run these trails sick, well, angry, in love, in the rain, the snow, in 110 degrees...
And in my dreams I walk the paths seeking their mountain shelter.
Even the fictional characters of my writings visit here.
It is the place where I find myself.  
Because sometime you have to go out to to be able to look in.

No comments:

Post a Comment