Tuesday, June 25, 2013

meanwhile



Don't get me wrong I sort of miss face book... And if you think you missed some major event in my life where I melted down and deleted my fb account out either social or political protest you didn't. I got up, drank coffee, checked face book, laced my running shoes, and went for a run.  When I came home it was gone, all that was left to do was remove the short cut from my desk top.  
"Do you think the same way removing the alarm clock from your bedroom helped you sleep at night that removing the constant noise of social media would help you?"


The strange answer is yes.  
Without the alarm clock I still wake in the night the difference is I fall back asleep and I seem to have less nightmares.  Unplugging is having a similar effect in my waking life.  Standing here at the point that people have begun to notice, the poll I wasn't taking on my fb absence is split 50/50; those people with whom I had daily or nearly daily contact on fb don't care or said 'good for you' and those people who like me to be convenient for when they want to reach me are pissed. So, I'd say unplugging solved a second problem I didn't know I had, but something I think I was feeling all along.  I have had some pretty serious security issues too that password protecting & blocking did not fix.  There were enough of them I found myself editing content just in case, that fear and pressure I can definitely live without. 

  

I have lots of good friends in real life who know where to find me, people who I trust will understand and take the time to stop by and see me or to call me when a party is scheduled especial if it is scheduled for my house! And I haven't cut off the world [obviously] or dropped of the planet.  But I have let go something I felt compelled to have to tend to.  It's not you fb it's me...really.  I think for a lot of people fb is just good fun as it turns out it isn't for me. I don't know if I will go back.  Right now I am just going forward.  


2 comments:

  1. Ah, well, that explains it. But please send me (your hubby's brother) an email, because I lost your address... And I worry when I don't hear from you guys....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehehe, and here I thought you and your brother were nothing alike ;)

      Delete