Thursday, April 18, 2013

when you find the moose in the road you have gone too far

[icy water]
When I left today I didn't have much of a set plan of where I was going, I just was...
I had a canyon in mind but not a trail.  Last second decision I left little red on the side of the road outside the locked gates of Church Fork still uncertain but at least on the move.
I passed two old guys who nicely warned me off of heading to the junction of Elbow Fork something about rumors coming down the pipe line about a charging moose.
Which is of course helped me decide which way to go.
Head for the charging moose!




But along the way I got distracted by a high road and picked a different path.
Going up.


[I really shouldn't hike in my running shoes]
Way up!!!
That is Ginger's 'are you sure you know what you are doing' face.  I thought I knew what I was doing but I didn't quite realize how steep & narrow (and muddy once the sun hit it!!) the trail I picked was until it was time to go back down.

[ice crystals]
I also didn't realize how cold I was until I stopped for water.

Getting warm in the sun before moving back into the shadows.

On the way back Ginger Dog managed to split a herd of deer nearly getting us all trampled. Half of them bolted across the path 6 inches in front of me and Old Moses.  It was like a mini earth quake.
But better a whole herd of deer than a moose.
[do you see them?]
Three hours and fifteen minutes later I found the 2 old guys again.  
"You been on quite a long walk little lady."
"You guys must be too if you're still out here."
"Aw, no we are just slow. You been all over the mountain up and back before we can get anywhere, makes an old man jealous."
"Don't be jealous, I just forgot where I parked my car." 
He laughed.  He wasn't buying it, he knew I was only joking.
[see little red down there on the road?]

Sometimes the best plan is no plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment